Friday, October 24, 2008

Monologue: Dialogue "Pa Joad and Tom Joad"

Pa: It looks like not all the good things are the ones you see when you’re alive, cause this place is damn nice.

 

Tom: Im glad Im her with you and notn jail.

 

Pa: Yes, Im glad to have you here too. You cant imagine how bad I felt when they took you away from our family, but Im still proud of you boy standing up for your sister.

 

Tom: Thanks Pa. You know I'll protect yawl if something happens.

 

Pa: I know you will, thats why you're gonna have a great life.

 

Tom: I sure hope that the baby of Rose of Sharon has a good life and doesnt have to pass threw something like we did.

 

Pa: Dont worry, that fela is gonna be just fine, because he is from Oklahoma.

 

Tom: Yeah, he sure will.

 

Pa: Now I know why the dead stay dead, to stay in this beautiful place for all eternity.

 

Tom: Yeah. Remember when Pa died? I think the trip made him a favor by making him come up here. Well, I think it did all of us a favor, because now we all have each other, and we have peace.

 

Pa Joad: You are damn right about that. In some parts of this journey I kind of lost faith, you know like in having a job again, in having good food again.

 

Tom: Well you aint the only one, I though I was going to be sent to jail, fearing that the police of California would catch me and say that I was causing trouble or something, and that would a meant them sending me back to Oklahoma, to a jail.

Pa: Yeah, I felt great fear when I heard that because of you being in parole you couldn’t leave the country.

 

Tom: I felt a great change at the end of our lives.

Pa Joad: Yes, I felt It too. At first I felt that I made the important decisions in the family. But then I realized you were the one making them.

Tom: I think that Ma started to make the decisions because you where more and more depressed by the fact you couldn’t find work.

Pa Joad: Well… maybe I should thank her because of taking the head of the family, because its true that each time more I felt bad and impotent because I couldn’t do nothing to help my family.

Tom: Yes, Ma did the right thing…

Pa: Maybe… But what really matters is that now we are all together and united once again as a family.

EB

1 comment:

Keh said...

I absolutely am 100% grateful for this blog for it has helped me to understand Pa Joad far more than I did, but I wish that you would put page numbers with all the quotes.